Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Pink Edition is a character swap hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive, with Amy Rose and Cream the Rabbit replacing Sonic the Hedgehog and Tails respectively.
The game was modified by Sonic Retro Member E-122-Psi, with additional programming and coding by other members including MarkeyJester, MainMemory, FraGag, Selbi, and Hayate. Cream the Rabbit and Cheese's gameplay was implemented by flamewing. The mystery guest character's gameplay was co-implemented by Hitaxas. New sprite work was done by E-122-Psi and ChelseaCatGirl. 2 Player VS Mode expansions were co-implemented by Cinossu, Ralakimus, MoDule and D.A.Garden.
Amy's abilities mirror those she utilized in the Sonic Advance series. She can't roll into a ball or use spin attacks; however, she has a number of abilities (mostly using her Piko Piko Hammer) to gain manoeuvrability and access areas Sonic had difficulty reaching:
- Hammer Attack: Press A and Amy swings her hammer, damaging enemies. In addition, Amy can use her hammer to smash through obstacles such as walls and rocks, and hit springs for higher propulsion.
- Hammer Jump: Press Down and A on the ground and Amy smashes the hammer into the ground, launching her into the air.
- Hammer Whirl: Press Down and A in the air and Amy swirls down toward the ground. If an enemy is hit Amy will bounce up again.
- Upward Dash: Hold Up and B/C while on the ground and Amy will rev her feet on the spot as opposed to a spin dash. Let go of Up to charge full throttle in the facing direction. Be careful though, Amy is vulnerable to blockading obstacles and enemies.
- Giant Steps: Hold Down and B/C while on the ground and Amy will take a giant step forward as opposed to a spin dash. This can be repeated so long as there is room. This move is good for getting up steep slopes; she can even get up slopes the others can't spin dash up!
- Head Slide Attack: Press A during a Giant Step and Amy will slide forward, damaging enemies in her path.
Cream the Rabbit
Much like Amy, Cream's abilities mimic those in the Advance series. Cream is constantly aided by her pet Chao, Cheese, who can attack enemies on command. If you play as Amy with Cream as your aid, Amy can also command Cheese:
- Spin Dash: Hold Down and B/C while on the ground and Cream will rev up in ball form to perform a spin dash. Let go of to go full throttle in the facing direction.
- Fly: Press B/C after jumping and Cream will begin fly. She will gain height by tapping A again repeatedly, using the D-pad to control what direction Cream is going. Cream cannot fly underwater.
- Cheese Attack: Press A for Cheese to home in and attack a nearby enemy.
An old ally of Team Rose has joined in the quest to stop Eggman. This mysterious character also has a hidden mission mode. Find the elusive creature hidden in each level (besides Death Egg Zone):
- Attack: Hold A to rev back and let go to release.
- Body Slam: Press B/C while jumping to slam into the ground and enemies below. Body slam to break obstacles such as walls and rocks, and hit springs for higher propulsion.
- Float: The mystery guest will automatically float in water. Hold Down to sink.
- Upward Dash: Hold Down and B/C while on the ground and the mystery guest will rev their feet on the spot as opposed to a spin dash. Let go of Down to charge full throttle in the facing direction.
- Expanded 2 Player VS Mode. Play Normal Items and No Items modes and race through Hill Top Zone.
- It is said the mystery guest can enter a secret path somewhere in Mystic Cave Zone.
- Act Clear causes some graphical glitches through completing mission mode.
With the overwhelming majority of my projects being solely character hacks, I have decided to undust this seven year old project as a base to experiment with any new ideas and tricks I can muster. Future revisions will hopefully add more secret paths, extra options and other bits of polish, while still maintaining the ability to play through the original Sonic 2 as Amy, Cream and other unique characters.