No, not a spoiler for the next Sonic movie, nor is it Sonic X Episode 56 in Italy, nor is it fanfiction.
If you remember looking at last year's Expo entries, you would've noticed Sonic the Hedgehog 2+; if you don't, I don't blame you given how many Sonic 2 entries there were last year (and how many used the "sunset sky" palette).
Well, in the year that has passed since the last contest, I've completely rebuilt the entire hack from scratch to be more stable, and to allow for more features.
The concept of the hack is to expand upon the original game by adding back in scrapped levels and concepts, alongside general bug fixes, improvements and other additions; as for why it was subtitled and isn't still Sonic 2+? It's because I found the original title too generic.
For a more specific list of notable changes:
- Knuckles has now been added as a playable character and controls exactly how he did in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
- Tails' flight has been implemented, enjoy breaking levels with it.
- The level order has been re-arranged to how it would've been in the original design (e.g. Metropolis as stage five).
- Both Wood and Hidden Palace (both one Act) have been reimplemented, alongside a new zone called Ocean Wind and a new act of Death Egg.
- All the title menus have been moved to a seperate menu, allowing for more options in the future.
- Improved sprites for Sonic.
- Some new Act 2 themes.
- Encore Mode from the previous release has been removed for this version, although it will return in the future.
- Lots and lots of bug fixes.
Also, I noticed that certain people didn't know what was changed and quit before completing Emerald Hill Zone; to anyone who might do that, just use the level select code.