Another South Island Adventure was a hack that tried to remix Sonic 1's level design and successor to Sonic ReOne, but I lost motivation to carry on for many reasons. (before you ask, this doesn't link to Hivebrain's South Island Adventure ROM hack in 2004)
In this hack, you will only be allowed to play the first two acts of Green Hill Zone before you are sent back to the SEGA screen. Let me run down a few notable things you may notice when playing.
Throughout Green Hill Zone, you will take a glance at a bright sunset palette that looks appealing in the eyes. Within act 1, you will encounter the lightning shield to attract rings and prevent projectiles from killing you; the fire shield is there too to allow you to destroy breakables walls and dash your way to the goal. Also, there are many paths for you to run around, so do check them out from time to time. Act 2 and involves more linear bearings. However, if you go down below, you will encounter an underwater section where you can try and run around only while trying to grasp for air unless you equip the bubble shield, which prevents you from drowning. Special Stages 1 and 2 have updated layouts, too, so be sure to grab 50 rings and check them out too! You also get to hear an excellent remix of Green Hill Zone done by me in GHZ1 and Puyo Puyo's Sticker in GHZ2. GHZ3 has the same layout, and completing the level will take you back to the title screen.
Moves are the same as Sonic 1 with a few new additions:
- The spindash from Sonic 2 is here. Duck and push A, B, C to gain speed, and Sonic will start rolling fast while destroying enemies
- The insta-shield from Sonic 3 and Knuckles appears in this ROM hack. While jumping, push the A, B and C buttons to gain a bolt around Sonic, and it will allow him to be vulnerable for a tiny bit and destroy objects or collect rings surrounding him.
- If you gained an elemental shield, push A, B or C in mid-air for an action to occur. For example, Sonic can double jump with the lightning shield, slam to the floor, bounce higher with the bubble shield, and dash your way past enemies and breakable walls with the fire shield.
I apologise if there is nothing exciting to see in this ROM hack, but at least I released it to be a proof of concept hack and sent it to the public for anyone to enjoy. Whether I'll continue with the hack is very unlikely, but at least I had a good time designing levels and feeling more confident in Sonic ROM hacking. =D
There are also some bugs to watch out for that I didn't manage to fix in time:
- GHZ water background changes when loading, but it shifts to normal once the HUD is loaded, and you can move
- Sonic's animations and mappings can bug out on rare occasions
- Other bugs may persist, which I may not know, but the hack is still stable and playable after countless testing.
Also, as a fun little secret, if you push C on the title screen, Sonic's sound effects will be replaced from Sonic 3K to CD.