Sonic Black & White is a ROM hack of Sonic the Hedgehog that features new palette, audio, zone layout and special stage modifications, in addition to new gameplay mechanics. This expo entry is a slight update from last year's contest entry, with several visual upgrades and miscellaneous bugfixes.
Once again, Eggman is up to his dastardly schemes and has absorbed all color from South Island to power his fortress. Imbued with the residual essence of the island, collecting rings will temporarily restore each area, but Sonic must also collect the chaos emeralds to permanently return the island to its normal self.
The name of the game is simple: Collect Rings! In each stage, collecting rings will gradually restore the proper color and sound to the vicinity. Collect as many as you can!Scattered around the Eggman's base (the hub area) are a selection of 6 acts to choose from, accessed via Giant Ring portals (once in one, press A to enter the stage, and B to cancel). Once in a stage, you can return to the hub at any time by pressing A+B+C while paused.To get to Eggman's Machine, Sonic must collect the 6 chaos emeralds; the Giant Ring portals are located in the upper area of the hub, and can only be accessed by clearing acts with at least 64 rings (An "S Zone" token will appear at the start of the hub is done successfully). After obtaining all 6 emeralds, the teleporter on the far right side of the HUB will be accessible.
- A hub stage that marks your progress
- 7 playable acts
- Modified special stage gameplay, with new music. Get Yellow Rings!
Updates from SHC 2020 Version:
- Palettes have been heavily reworked
- 'Return to Hub' functionality included (press A+B+C while paused)
- Level Ring Collision in the hub corrected to be more accurate/sensitive
- Minor layout changes to the intro stage
- Ending updated with proper color effect
- Level Select is available in a hidden area in the hub (when you've found it, press start twice when selecting a level)
- New Act layouts and level design (almost all of acts are placeholders for now)
- New Bosses
- Modified/Improved HUD Elements
- Simplified/Redesigned hub area
- Occasionally, the invincibility music breaks the level bgm (said monitors are thus removed for this release)
- Marble Zone's bgm doesn't quite return to normal as it should; not sure why...
- Getting hit with a shield occasionally affects the palette a bit in some instances.
- The Good Ending loads rings and other objects rather than the animals for some reason.
- There are some graphical issues during some level/special stage transitions, due to modified palette fade routines.
- SBZ1's background deformation is a bit messed up near the beginning of the stage
- Some tile glitches occur when rejecting the zone rings in the hub.
Thanks for Playing!